Call us:   +420 226 209 018

  • Language:
  • English
  • Deutsch


The Czech Republic is one of the main transit points in Europe. The largest and main Czech airport is the international airport in Prague-Ruzyně, which changed its name to Václav Havel Airport Prague in 2012.

The official airport website can be found here.

You can get to the airport by car on road R7 or using one of the public transport services, a list of which can be found here.

The main Czech airline is Czech Airlines (ČSA), which ranks among the large European airlines. Domestic flights operate from Moravia to Bohemia (for example from Ostrava to Prague) although most flights are international flights.

Long-distance trains and busses

The Czech Republic has one of the densest rail networks in Europe and an elaborate system of public bus transportation. Connections by bus and train are reliable.

Rail transportation is provided by both state and private companies, bus transportation is provided by several private carriers.

Timetables for trains and busses including their mutual combination with public transport can be found here.

Transport by car

Roads in the Czech Republic are divided into motorways, roads, local roads and special purpose roads. On maps, the type of road in the Czech Republic is indicated with the letter D, R or S, whereas D indicates a motorway, R a fast road and S a normal road.

There are a total of six motorways in the Czech Republic, the oldest and most important being the D1 motorway connecting Prague and Brno. A map of the motorway network in the Czech Republic can be found here.

Apart from petrol stations, there are almost 900 filling stations for LPG in the Czech Republic and roughly 40 stations with CNG. A network offering recharging stations for electric cars is also emerging.

Documents required

  • driving licence (European or international),
  • ID card (EU) or passport
  • vehicle documents (small certificate of roadworthiness, third party insurance and a green card)

Basic traffic regulations

Fees and toll

Passenger cars must have a sticker on the windscreen to use the motorways, which is proof of payment of the fee for use of motorways. The motorway sticker can be purchased at any filling station. The annual sticker for vehicles up to 3.5t costs CZK 1,500; the monthly sticker costs CZK 440 and a ten-day sticker costs CZK 310.

Vehicles over 3.5t in weight are subject to payment of electronic toll fees and must acquire a special on-board unit. More information can be found here.

Parking in large cities

The system of parking is resolved differently by each large city. Especially in the city centres, drivers are obliged to only park in designated car parks, where there is mostly a charge for parking. Car parks are most frequently equipped with ticket machines; some cities have started to use a parking system paid for via text messages. For this reason, before visiting a specific city, where problems with parking can be anticipated, you should find out in advance which system is used there. You can find this information on the websites of the individual cities.

Whether and how long you can park in any given location is also determined by the information signs there. If you breach these regulations, your car may be towed away or you may have to pay a high fine for unauthorised parking.

Always quickly resolve situations relating to a vehicle having been towed away with the police. The moment you discover that your car is not where you left it, call the national police line 158 or the municipal police on 156. 


The rule applies in the Czech Republic that if you estimate the costs for damage to the vehicles involved including transportation fees at less than CZK 100,000 (and if the participants agree on who caused the accident), you do not need to call the police. You are however obliged to draw up a record of the traffic accident on a special form (the standard European Accident Statement form – your insurance company will provide you with this). Both parties involved in the accident must then report the accident to their insurance company.

If the damage is greater or if any injury or damage occurs to the property of a third party, or public property, you must always call the police. You are obliged to provide essential aid to injured parties and to mark the location of the accident.

Public transport

Large cities operate a system of public transport using tram, bus, trolleybus or metro routes operated by the local public transport companies. You can regularly purchase individual tickets for individual journeys, but if you are staying for longer, consider buying the more advantageous day tickets, two-day tickets or week tickets or even a long-term travel pass.

In some cities, you can buy tickets via text messages, in ticket machines at stops or directly from the driver. You can also generally buy them in public transport shops and in shops selling tobacco and newspapers.


Source: CzechTourism